The Archive represents a unique look at 180 years of cloth produced at the mill.
The Archive is housed within 4000sq ft of the historic Sunny Bank Mills mill founded in 1829. This nationally important Archive consists of;
- Fabric records including over 300 guard books containing thousands of textile cuttings
- Over 60,000 lengths of fabric
- Over 8,000 fabric designs
- 5,000 wool dyeing recipe cards
- 100 leather bound ledgers and cash books
- Weaving Looms
- Photographs and memorabilia
- A library of mill related books.
Aims & Objectives
To preserve and make accessible the historic textile mill collection for the community and future generations.
Visit the Archive at Sunny Bank Mills on the first Wednesday of every month, free of charge & group tours can be arranged by appointment.
Help preserve this unique collection by joining the Archive Volunteer program.
Please contact Rachel at Archive@sunnybankmills.co.uk
“therapeutic” ….“fascinating”…. “rewarding”…..”it gives you a chance to get up close and personal with a piece of history” (Archive Volunteer)
“An experience not to be missed, well presented, worth a visit” (Archive visitor)
“Fascinating, enlightening, inspiring.” (Archive visitor)