Sunny Bank Mills are founded by group of local clothiers who invest together to purchase land and to build a woollen scribbling
and fulling mill, known as The Farsley Club Mill. John Gaunt is appointed as one of the trustees to run the mill.
Edwin Woodhouse purchases the majority shares in Sunny Bank Mills and becomes the outright owner. He greatly expands
the Mills over next three decades and commences worsted spinning and weaving.
Edwin Woodhouse has no son to pass on the mill to and sells his interest to James Ives & Co of Yeadon. The mill has a renowned reputation for producing fine worsted cloth.
William C Gaunt, the wool tycoon, buys Sunny Bank Mills as part of a rapid expansion during the 1st World War. He now owns mills throughout the world.
The Great Depression destroys W C Gaunt’s finances and all his mills fall under the control of the Inland Revenue
and five leading banks. Future profits are used to pay his creditors in full.
Six months after W C Gaunt’s death, his son Alfred reaches a settlement with the banks and regains control of
Sunny Bank Mills.
1950’s & 1960’s
This is a period of great prosperity for the mill as it builds its export business and consolidates its
reputation as one of the finest cloth producers in the world.
The mill reinvestments in weaving and ceases its combing & spinning operations.
The Gulf War disrupts trade in the Mill’s most important market; sales were never to fully recover.
Production of fine worsteds cease at Sunny Bank Mills after 180 years and eventually it moves to Huddersfield.
John and William Gaunt start a multi million pound regeneration programme in Sunny Bank Mills.
Restoration of 1912 Mill and Sandsgate offices completed.