The Joy of Grit: 4 weeks Developing Carborundum Printmaking
5th October 2019 @ 11:00 am - 2nd November 2019 @ 4:00 pm| £160
A four-week short course (5th Oct, 12th Oct, 26th Oct, 2nd Nov) to develop carborundum printmaking methods – Enjoy mixing grits, sands and glues to make rough textured surfaces , which hold ink beautifully – a printmakers favourite.
Two days of plate making, and two days of printing on alternate weeks will produce a small series of rich tactile prints to take home.
All workshops have a small group size with a maximum of 8 people ensuring lots of time and attention all round.
This workshop is suitable for beginners and improvers, under the experienced guidance and support of professional artist / printmaker / tutor Laney Birkhead.
Reference will be made to natural objects and the inspiring scenery around the venue.
Careful observation and a basic understanding of technique will be the focus.
Each course includes unlimited Brews: tea, coffee & biscuits each day – Please bring your own packed lunch along.
A small materials fee of £15 will be charged payable on the day to Laney Birkhead.
A list of what to bring is included on the course description, along with where to find the venue and studio location.
What to bring:
- Materials Fee as listed on your course details payable to the artist on arrival.
- Packed Lunch
- Old shirt /apron.
- Small box of favourite basic drawing materials e.g. pen, pencil, rubber, scissors etc.
- Small sketchbook / notebook in which to make notes and observations.
- Minimum of 6 images (sketches / photos) you wish to work from. These can be your own primary images or secondary research images from sketchbooks, scrapbooks, magazines photos etc.
- Small folder of found discarded surfaces and textures e.g. old wallpapers, card, sandpapers, embossed greeting cards, envelopes anything with a bit of a ‘tooth’ to it. (Collagraph & Carborundum workshops only)
- A camera with which to record your creative journey (optional).
- A3 small folder or wallet to take home prints in.